1. What is a declared article?+

a. Products that are listed in the Australian Standard AS/NZS 4417.2 are deemed as Declared Articles. All products that fall within these definitions must have an approval certificate before it can be sold in Australia and or New Zealand.

2. What if my product is not a declared article?+

a. If a product does not fall into the declared articles category, voluntary approval may be sought, known as a Certificate of Suitability. The application process is similar to that of a declared article. Certificates of Suitability are often used by a supplier to prove compliance and for marketing advantages, while many larger retailers or sectors of Government many require approval certificates as part of their purchasing/procurement process.

3. How much does it cost?+

a. $590 +GST per new certificate. Refer to our fees page for other costs

4. Do you require upfront payment?+

a. Yes. When we have received your application and associated documents, an invoice will be issued. Full upfront payment will be required before the assessment of your application commences.

5. What documents do I need to get a certificate?+

a. Accredited test report with testing to the relevant AS/NZS standards
b. Completed application form (Online form/PDF form)
c. User guide/installation manual
d. If you are a consultant, an authorisation letter providing permission to act on your client’s behalf, signed by the client.

6. How long does it take?+

a. For a standard application, our turnaround time is 5 business days.

7. Who recognises an ASA certificate?+

a. Recognised nationwide in Australia and New Zealand.

8. How long is my certificate valid?+

a. All of our certificates are issued for a 5 year maximum period. Some products may have a shorter validity time (e.g. Hair straightening irons are certified for a maximum 2 year period).

9. Does ASA do any testing or product consulting?+

a. No. We are only a certification body. If you need to get your products tested, try contacting our sister lab, Austest Laboratories

10. Do you upload certificates to ERAC?+

a. All Certificates of Approval (Level 3 products) are automatically uploaded to the ERAC database.

11. What types of products do you certify?+

a. Almost all types of electrical products.

12. Are overseas certificates accepted in Australia?+

a. No. All declared articles sold in Australia/New Zealand must be covered by an Australian Certificate of Approval and marked accordingly. This is an optional (but recommended) requirement for non-declared articles, issued with a Certificate of Suitability.

13.How does the government define "electrical safety" for appliances?+

a. Electrical safety is defined in the relevant safety standards. Refer to AS/NZS3820.

14.What is an accredited test report?+

a. Accredited test reports means reports produced by test laboratories which are either;
i) Accredited by the National Association of Testing Authorities, Australia (NATA) or by organisations with a reciprocal arrangement or mutual recognition with NATA such as A2LA, CNAS etc
ii) Accredited under the Certifying Body (CB) scheme and accompanied by a CB Certificate

Note: the standard applied by the test lab must be listed within the accreditation scope of the test lab. It is not sufficient to provide a report from an accredited lab, where the electrical safety standard is itself not listed under the scope of accreditation of the lab.

Also note any CB Report must include the Australian/New Zealand deviations to the base IEC standard (if applicable).

A copy of our gazettal by the New South Wales Government can be found here

A copy of our JAS-ANZ accreditation certificate under their Product Certification Scheme can be found here.

Search ASA Approval Certificates